New Jersey Invasive Species Strike Team Events
Mark your calendars and come join us for our upcoming events!
Attention registrants: If a program requires registration, please click on the link included in that program description to register online. If you need to register by mail, please fill out our Printable Registration Form.
Saturday, May 18: Invasive Plant Buy Back!
This is a cooperative program between Duke Farms, the Strike Team and the Native Plant Society of NJ. Dig up hand over an invasive plant from your landscape (limited to following approved list) and hand it over to the Strike Team. As a thank you, Duke Farms and the Native Plant Society of NJ will give you a native plant to use in it’s place! As best you can, make note of the habitat where you will be planting your native (shade/sun/wet/dry) so we can select an appropriate species for you. This event is part of Duke Farms One Year Anniversary Celebration.
- Location: Duke Farms, 1112 Dukes Parkway West. Directions
- Volunteers Needed! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
- Time: 10:00am-4:00pm
- Registration: Unlimited invasive plants accepted. One native plant per family will be distributed. Native plants available in limited quantities and will be on a 1st come, 1st serve basis.
- Accepted invasive species: The Strike Team will accept the following plants as part of this buy back event. For a comprehensive list of all invasive plants in NJ, dowload our Do_NOT_Plant_List. Please make a vested effort to fully remove the plant you are you trading in and be prepared to remove any regrowth that occurs.
- butterfly bush (Buddleja davidii)
- Chinese silver grass (Miscanthus sinenses) – all cultivars
- Wintercreeper (Euonymous fortunei)
- burning bush (Euonymous alata or Euonymous alata compactus)
- yellow iris (Iris pseudacorus)
- Japanese barberry (Berberis vulgaris or Berberis thunbergii)
- English ivy (Hedera helix)
- Purple loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria)
- Chinese Wisteria (Wisteria sinensis)
- Clematis – Japanese or Fragrant (Clematis terniflora, Clematis flammula )
Wednesday, May 29: Eradication Workshop
During this workshop, the DEP Pesticide Control Program will discuss state laws related to herbicide application. Arborchem will present an overview of herbicide application techniques by slideshow followed by an outdoor demonstration. Pesticide credits offered.
- Location: Great Swamp Watershed Association, 568 Tempe Wick Road, Morristown. Directions
- Time: 9:00am-12:00pm
- Registration: $25 per person, Register
Saturday, June 8: Plant Identification Training
This workshop will focus on plant identification, survey techniques and data recording and submission. Any volunteers or land stewards interested in this process are encouraged to attend. The bulk of the training will be spent in the field so dress appropriately and bring identification materials, notebook, camera and other relevant field materials. After the training, participants are encouraged to serve as Strike Team volunteers for local groups such as Flat Rock Brook Nature Center and the NY-NJ Trail Conference.
- Location: Flat Rock Brook Nature Center, 443 Van Nostrand Ave, Engelwood, NJ. Directions
- Time: 9:30am-11:30am
- Registration: Free! Register here.